"I Live to think for myself. I refuse to be a mindless sheep following the crowd into cookie-cutter oblivion. Otherwise I'd just be a zombie with no heart or passion in life" - Hervey Taylor IV

Lets Karaoke

Friday, December 30, 2011

| | |
This past week was kind of a crazy week. I had family in town and of course there was Christmas. But I also had errands and appointments and lots of good times with my sister and friends.

I think the highlight of the week though was Wednesday night. We went down to our neighbor's house for dinner where we had tostadas compuestas... my favorite meal that they make. It is literally to die for. Even right now, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. After dinner, my sister and approximately half of the population of Las Cruces under the age of 30 that are still in town for the holidays (which isn't that many people in actuality)... and those who were too bored to stay in Albuquerque headed to the Pan American stadium to watch NMSU vs. UNM basketball.

I was being lazy and wanted to stay home so I didn't attend this event. Good thing too because NMSU got our butts handed to us on a shiny silver platter. I think we ended up losing by 22 or so. Because of this, everybody who was at the game left early and headed straight across the street to Dublins. This is one of about 4 bars in town. It's a little classier than Hurricanes but nowhere near as classy as De La Vega's and the fact that it is right across the street from the University makes it the ultimate college bar. It is like the local watering hole. If you ever need to find any body above the age of 21 and under 30 on any given night in the dull city of Cruces I would tell you to look no further than Dublins. And so, as I found out people were leaving early I decided to unravel myself from the pressing duties of laziness and meet up with my friends there.

But what is so special about Wednesdays? Apparently it is karaoke night. We learned this last Wednesday when we suffered through an entire night of ear bleeding musical stylings. But this Wednesday night the crowd was bigger and my friends were drinking more and the music was in the air. Also, on this night I was the designated driver (I was actually the designated driver last Wednesday too come to think of it. Boo.)

I don't drink much to begin with 1. Because it is expensive. 2. Because I have no need to increase the chances of making an idiot out of myself... I do a good enough job of that on my own. 3. Beer makes me really really full. After about 1 glass, my stomach is uncomfortably full and so I just stop. 4. Drinking makes me as pale as a ghost who just saw another ghost. That is an unnatural shade of white if you get my drift. I generally keep a blush compact in my purse and apply it multiple times throughout the night just to look alive. 5. Really, I know I am only 21 but I am getting too old to go out as much as I used to... which even then was never really a lot. I don't know, maybe I'm just naturally a responsible good girl. I'm ok with that.

Whatever the case may be... which I think was mainly because it was my sister's last hurrah before she headed back to Pennsylvania... I said I would be the designated driver. Being the designated driver has many disadvantages and advantages but I can never say it isn't interesting. It is kind of like you are the only one left in reality and you get to watch as people step outside of themselves and become very different people.

So on this night, as my friends were sipping their raspberry long island ice teas... we had a brilliant idea. Lets karaoke. Well this is not a decision that can be taken lightly. You have to scan the room and see who is attendance. You better make sure there is nobody there you truly do not want to see you enter a situation which is bound to have adverse outcomes. The song selection is also a major factor. You can't be one of those people who sings a sad country song because the goal here isn't to depress an entire bar full of people. That is never ok and in most places it is an unforgivable sin to those who have to listen to it.

So my friends, who are currently seeing life through rose colored glasses, decide it is a good idea to sing karaoke as long as we pick fake names (Trishin, Destiny, Lauriweather, Lola, and Paulina). And I somehow hear myself enthusiastically agreeing to this ridiculous plan. It is one thing for them but I am stone cold sober and am not sure how I managed to think this was a good idea. I was Paulina in case you were really wondering.

So five of us go up there and sing Don't Stop Believing by Journey. Which is always a good song to pick. It's Journey for heavens sake. If you don't like Journey, you're insane and should seriously consider having your head examined. I must say though, I am quite peeved that they are trying to make a comeback with a new front man. You can't say you are the same band with a new singer. That's hogwash. Point blank... you get a new singer, you are a new band. Just deal with it and move on Journey!

Anyway, turns out we were good! Pretty darn good... so we were told at least. Well, this dangerously boosted our egos and we decided to get on up and sing another. Spice Girls - Wannabe. What we didn't really take in to account is that since Spice Girls has multiple singers, some lines are said at the same time or overlapping. But we were not clever enough to try and do this. We all tried to say every single line so quickly that it sounded like a discombobulated train wreck. I mean, it was bad... really really bad. I am pretty sure a couple of people left crying and a guy told us we should have stopped while we were ahead. Ya think! I really should have stopped at the word karaoke 3 hours earlier but what can I say, I was born with the innate need to embarrass myself and turns out, I hadn't quite yet filled my December quota.

Regardless, I had a great night with some old and new friends. And if I had to go back, I'd do it all exactly the same.

Now, I must go get ready for the upcoming new year. I suggest you do the same. It is going to be a good one... I can feel it in my bones!

0 Witty Remarks:

Post a Comment